Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 16 Nov 2001 08:07:27 -0800
From:         mark drillock <drillock@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Optima deep cycle batt. as starting battery?

You don't mention the year and model Vanagon you have but they all start with the same size compartment under the front seats. Where they vary is in the added obstructions that limit or make more difficult the access to that space. You can put a 41 in there as that is what they were made for.

If you have a driver's side seat swivel you can remove the seat and then the 4 nuts holding the swivel assembly. This allows you to lift out the swivel assembly and gain better access to the battery compartment.

Some models also have a relay and/or wires that must be repositioned to get the group 41 battery in under the driver's seat.

The Westy Weekenders with a poptop often came with an aux battery already installed under the driver's seat. This was hooked up to run a cigarette lighter outlet between the front seats under the passenger seat. It was installed to provide a way to run the portable 12 volt fridge that these models came with. I'm sure Chris Turner can provide the years that this setup was available. The ones I have seen had the standard group 41 battery in this location.

I have installed numerous aux batteries under the front seats of various years of Vanagon. I always use group 41. I usually put the new battery in the main battery position and use the older one for the aux.

Deep cycles have their advantages and disadvantages. If you have some special need that requires you to frequently run the aux battery way down then a deep cycle may be better for you. Most people just want to camp and have lights, music, fans, etc, without worrying about being able to start the engine when it is time to leave. A simple dual group 41 installation has all of the advantages for this IMHO. Long deep cycle battery life is dependent upon proper use and charging techniques. Most people want to camp and enjoy their Vanagons without becoming battery maintenance experts.

Mark

Jay L Snyder wrote: > > I don't know about your particular Vanagon, but a group 41 will not fit > under my driver's seat compartment. I could not even find a garden tractor > or motorcycle battery that would fit, and I certainly didn't want to start > cutting up the box. I put the second group 41 under the back seat. The > weekender's are different? > > Jay >