Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 17 Nov 2001 13:05:52 -0800
From:         mike miller <mwmiller@CWNET.COM>
Subject:      Re: Van Gremlins
Comments: To: Wontfailyah@aol.com

Is that the black box above the coil on the drivers side of the engine compartment? I'll clean heck out of the contacts and see what happens.

Thanks,

Mike

From: Wontfailyah@aol.com Date: Sat, 17 Nov 2001 15:07:31 EST To: mwmiller@cwnet.com, vanagon@gerry.vanagon.com Subject: Re: Van Gremlins

Just went thru similar ordeal with my '86 Westy. Replaced ECU.....3 weeks & several hundred miles so far......no more problem. Of course it may have been just the connection, so I plan to clean it well and reinstall the "apparently" bad ECU to determine if it was just the connections. Tim Timothy Pensacola, FL

In a message dated 11/17/2001 1:53:09 PM Central Standard Time, mwmiller@CWNET.COM writes: Volks,

My son and I took the 85 Westy on a trip. Many times it has kind of hesitated at about 100 miles, then it smooths out and is fine.

This time it started at 50 miles and got worse. Had to go down a gear lower than usual to get up the mountains. Stopped for dinner and it wouldn't start afterward. Starter spun it very well, no fire at all.

Checked for spark and it was weak but there. Fuel pump made it noise on turning the key. Tried it several more times, nothing, no effort to kick over at all.

Had a spare coil [Bosche from the last episode of missing which turned out to be plugs wires] plugged it in, much better spark, no help with starting.

Tried spraying carb cleaner into the intake [removed the air filter] nothing. Spent the night in the parking lot. Started the next morning ran like a tank until it ran out of gas 10 miles from home. Put gas in and it started and ran fine. Got home and then tried to start it and it did the same no fire at all trick that it did at the restaurant the night before.

My son's guess was that the first coil was bad [new Bosche] and when we put the old coil in the engine was flooded from the earlier tries to start it.

But that doesn't explain why it's doing it again. He still thinks fuel delivery problems, my guess is gremlins.

Anybody else got an idea.

[text/html]