Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Nov 2001 11:11:08 -0500
From:         Gary Stearns <gstearns@OPTONLINE.NET>
Subject:      Re: 81 Westy - Heat, Rust & Noise
Comments: To: Ron Schlamp <r.schlamp@SK.SYMPATICO.CA>

I have used the foam spray and it does make a difference. I used it almost entirely in the frame channels beneath the van rather than above in the passenger compartment. I did learn a few things that might be useful. First is that it creates a closed cell foam that will not absorb or hold water. The thing to be careful of is that you don't block and drainage channels. Next even though I used the "minimal expansion" version, it expands alot. Plan on having to cut it away from places where it grows out of it's intended location. In the channels below the van where I put it, it didn't expand or buckle any metal. It might though with the lighter sheet metal in the passenger compartment. I'd suggest doing a little at a time. I tried to use a small vinyl hose to extend the reach. No good. The foam expanded too much before it got to the end of the hose. Within seconds it blew the hose off of the can and made a royal mess. WEAR GLOVES. DON'T WEAR CLOTHES THAT YOU PLAN TO WEAR AGAIN! When this stuff hits skin, it stay for weeks 'till it wears off. Use all caution to keep it from places that you don't want it. I have never seen a more powerful adhesive.

I was trying to dampen engine vibrations from getting into the cabin. It took about 4 cans to fill all of the channels beneath, but it produced a great improvement in noise.

Gary ----- Original Message ----- From: Ron Schlamp To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, November 17, 2001 11:51 AM Subject: 81 Westy - Heat, Rust & Noise

I recently read the article which is titled Heat, Rust and Noise and linked to the Vanagon site. I found this very informative and I want to try this. I am wondering if others have tried it and if so what their reactions to it are. . I am wondering if it is ok to fill the channels talked about completely with the foam spray. Should I leave a spot open in the lowest part of each channel for moisture to escape? Can I use a hose to get the stuff in the channel above my windows in the rear side areas? Does it matter what expansion type of foam I use? Will the stuff expand so much as to push out any of the tin, assuming I use it only within the channels and not just in the wall cavities? After opening up some of the panels I see that moisture has been trapped in side. The bit of yellow insulation I pulled out was damp on the bottom. I also see a small bit of surface rust on the inside of the cavity at the bottom along with some gunk. How do I clean this up before putting Kool Patch on? How do you steam clean? Also after I have the area clean do I pain the Kool Patch right to the bottom and perhaps up the inside tin of the cavity just a bit to make a bathtub effect in the bottom of the cavity? I have located the Q-pads at a local retailer, I have not found the Kool Patch as of yet, nor have I found the NASA insulation. Do you have any suggestions in terms of new products that might improve on what you used (I am not sure when you wrote your article)? I know that 3M makes some great heat barrier kinds of materials. Sorry for all the questions. Like anyone who is new to this kind of thing I feel like I really want to do my research, before I do something stupid. Ron Schlamp r.schlamp@sk.sympatico.ca

[text/html]