Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 18 Nov 2001 18:23:37 -0800
From:         David Jaffe <orhiker1@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Suspension parts to replace during upgrade -
Comments: To: Syncro@yahoogroups.com

I've got a 1986 Syncro with 172K, which passed all necessary inspections, and handles fine. It wasn't a Westy when I bought it, but it is now that I've put in all the gear. I want top-notch handling, so I'm going to put in Steve Schwenk's new springs and OME shocks, even though it doesn't seem to "need" them. (I'll need to have a shop handle it due to my lack of skills, tools, and a place to work.)

I want to keep it for many years with it as reliable & trouble-free as possible (plus now's the time to spend money on it if I ever will). Surely it makes sense to have them replace other components while they've got it apart...?

So, in addition to whatever the shop tells me is bad or marginal: 1.> what things should I probably/definitely replace (bushings/joints/seals/other) after 172K? 2.> what's required to install 16" wheels in the future, and can it be done now since I'll keep my new 14" rubber for 20K-50K more miles?

Regards,

David Jaffe 1986 Syncro West'faux'lia Portland, Oregon