Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 06:30:12 -0800
From:         Michael Snow <mwsnow@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: [Fwd: Re: Metal engine lids - what year?]
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

For sure, there are three high-amp electrical circuits in the diesel Vanagon. Glow plugs, alternator to battery, battery to starter. Any one of those could ignite and cause problems. I'm not saying that it is impossible to ignite diesel fuel in open air, but it's not easy. Any other military folks on the list could probably give detailed instructions on how to burn field latrines with diesel fuel. I am saying that the risk is far lower than with gasoline, and that fact gives me some peace of mind. I spend a fair amount of time in my engine bay, so I know the condition of the critical components. Do your own maintenance and take your own chances. I'll take mine with the diesel over a gas engine any time. Now, about that horsepower thing....

Mike Snow