Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 13:37:30 -0600
From:         Max Wellhouse <maxjoyce@IPA.NET>
Subject:      Re: The lid is *NOT* Plastic!
Comments: To: Terry Kay <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET>

Gnarl may be referring to " high density fiberglass" as either a part that was vaccum bagged or pressure molded. Spozed to make the fiber to resin ratio ideal for optimum strength. Don't know about a fuel-induced fire's effect on fiberglass, but I once caught the nose of a very expensive Olympic slalom kayak on fire by mixing too hot a batch of resin to get the endpour for the bow to set up quickly. Exothermic reaction I was told. The bigger the mass of catalyzed resin(epoxy or polyester/vinylester), the hotter it's gonna get. That was an expensive lesson for me.

The again, the refferal may have been to using a real dense fiberglass cloth(like military S-glass) as opposed to woven roving like you'd see a cheap ass canoe mad out of. Just can't believe that VW put that much thought into the engine lid. My thought is they were tryig to save money and maybe weight. The glass VW bumpers are made from the cheapest of fiberglass mat. It's no wonderthey damage so easily.

DM&FS ----- Original Message ----- From: "Terry Kay" <CTONLINE@WEBTV.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 19, 2001 11:00 AM Subject: Re: The lid is *NOT* Plastic!