Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 17:32:05 -0800
From:         Tom Salicos <TomSalicos@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Meteor Shower Update

This year was great! We did not get far enough out of the city for the best viewing, but it was good. I had told our daughter Jodi that we were going to try the "Women's Forum", which is a view point overlooking the Columbia River, at the West end of the Columbia River Gorge. It is well out of the city backscatter, high up, with wide horizons. Turns out everybody in Portland was doing the same thing. What a traffic jam! We turned around at the designated place, then went back about half a mile, and found a spot along the road, next to a field. Turns out we had parked three cars in back of our daughter and her friends!

Show was great. Most meteor(ite)s leave a trail that lasts for half second or a little more than a second. One lit the sky like lightning, then the trail didn't fade. It turned to a small cloud and the cloud just kind of hung there over us. We just stared in disbelief. It must have been *RFC* (really close).

Watching such events makes us think about the meaning of life, the universe and our place in eternity. John Ashcroft must be thinking really hard about how to stop this.

Tom Salicos Still sleepy