Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 19:47:08 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Accessing battery box behind driver seat--So easy,
              now that I know how
Comments: To: developtrust@HOME.COM

If one wants to also use the swivel to turn around or have a snack with the driver snack table the swivel will interfere with the battery posts. Has anyone solved this problem?

Reply: I never swivel the drivers seat. I have armrests and the seat just doesn't have enough room to give any comfort.

Stan On Mon, 19 Nov 2001 15:42:00 -0800 developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM> writes: > After gleaning bits of information from at least 5 or 6 of you NOW I > can see > how easy it is to get at that battery box behind the driver seat. > > I was educated as a research scientist to focus on what we know as > "the law > of parsimony" that is, reduce it all to the most simple. > > Here is what I think is the simple details to allow anyone to get to > the > battery box alone without help and without 3 or 4 hands. > > 1. Slide the driver seat forward then tilt the top back as far as it > will > go. > 2. Slide it all the way forward until the little spring clip on the > left > side of the track reaches its limit. > 3. Put a flat screwdriver or other flat device under the spring > latch to > hold it up. > 4. Slowly and gently slide the seat forward until it is off the > track and > put it on the ground and lean it against the van (if you don't lean > the seat > on the van it will fall onto its back on the dirty ground.) > (*Why slowly? If you hit the plastic steering wheel cover you will > break > it.) > 5. Rotate the swivel 180 degrees and open the battery compartment. > Voila! > > There is plenty of room in there for an optima battery. More than > enough > length. > > My recommendations is to place a piece of wood or plywood in the > space on > the floor of the battery box between the battery and the box wall to > keep it > from shifting and hitting the relay switch, and tie the battery > down. > > One will still need to figure out a creative solution for the top > posts > which extend above the 7 inch height limit. My preference is to cut > 2 large > holes in the metal cover above the posts. Do it neatly with one of > those > electrician's hole cutters you can get at any hardware store. Then > under the > carpet cover ( or under the metal cover) lay a piece of heavy rubber > or > other insulating material or make some kind of post cover to fit the > hole > nicely. > > Or make a custom cover. > > I think I might still keep my battery under the sink. Maybe because > I am > already invested in that solution but also I don't have to spend > more time > cutting holes, or inventing a cover solution for the posts. > > I am really amazed that VW did not just cut a notch in the swivel > base the > length of the battery box and deep enough to expose it all. Then one > would > not have to take the seat out. I guess the man hours for a new > swivel base > which would not be identical to the passenger side is cost > prohibitive. I > guess we can do it ourselves. I do not see how cutting a 12 inch by > 2 inch > notch will compromise the strength or integrity of the swivel base. > > If one wants to also use the swivel to turn around or have a snack > with the > driver snack table the swivel will interfere with the battery posts. > Has > anyone solved this problem? > > My under the sink solution eliminates a lot of problems. I have > photos of it > now as my digital camera came back today. Send your email address if > you > want to see them. > > William > ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.