Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 21:19:35 -0700
From:         Russ Ottey <rottey@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Meteor Shower Update
Comments: To: Bob Stevens <mtbikerbob@MSN.COM>

It really was once in a lifetime event. I headed out from Santa Clara, CA. Saturday afternoon with the '90 Westy and wife and kids to head to Fremont Peak State Park near San Juan Batista, about 12 miles south of Gilroy. It's a good high peak with a small observatory on top. The limited campsites were taken but it was no problem to just have a spot in the parking lot. I counted about 6 or 7 other Westy's up there along with a Eurovan camper - Any listmembers? There was a good assortment of huge personal telescopes for pre-meteor shower viewing. It was great to have the Westy for before and after event sleeping. We watched the show from about 1-3:30am, easily seeing over a couple of hundred under clear skies. A couple of the more spectacular meteors left a trail in the sky lasting over a minute. Most just streaked and disappeared. Russ Ottey

Bob Stevens wrote: > > I did the same event Tom. Drove my Westy (there it is;>)... to Moab, > UT to stay with friends and mt.bike a couple days. Saw Harry Potter > (excellent review by me..my inner child plays well). Got up at 3 a.m. > and stood in the middle of the street. No horizon obstructions except > the lofted sandstone cliffs to the south 4 to 5 miles away. Most > amazing sight of my 59 years!! Seeling more meteorites than I can look > at/focus on at the same time is new for me. And the colors. I was > surprised they came from ALL compass directions. I could hear the > ooooh's and aawwww's of neighbors on the culdesac. Great experience. > A true gift. > > Bob Stevens > > '91 Westy > > ---------------------------------------------------------------------- > Get your FREE download of MSN Explorer at http://explorer.msn.com