Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 20 Nov 2001 13:52:54 -0800
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      Re: Newbie >>>> Intro .. sorry ... LONG

Welcome Larry-- I'm always pleased to know there are others on this list willing to describe themselves as mechanically challenged. If it weren't for fear of being royally flamed, I'd be inclined to speculate that those of us who pay for professional wrenching actually spend less & have more dependable vehicles. Yikes!--I'm already ducking as I don my asbestos jump suit... ; } My Westy's an '85 too--& I may be biased, but I consider '85 Westy's the finest vintage. Drive it daily & take lots of long adventures & you'll both be happy: Guaranteed. (Some restrictions do apply.) You're on the right track so far--best of luck!

Cheers, Phaedra '85 Westy "Basecamp"

----- Original Message ----- From: Larry C Chase <lchase@ATTGLOBAL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2001 11:27 AM Subject: Newbie >>>> Intro .. sorry ... LONG

Vanagon List Members,

I delighted to announce that I have completed my self imposed Newbie initiation.

1. Scour the Archives for all areas of interest and info .... minimum 2 mnths. 2. Lurk quietly & Humbly in the background and absorb as much of the huge volume of incredible and knowledgeable dialog for at least 2 months 3. Test the waters by slipping a toe the knowledge pool by submitting a couple of non-controversial questions about source etc to knowledgeable members off line. 4. Finally ... the coming out (sort of) by submitting a humble introductory note.

Background:

Vehicle - 85 Westy GL (as yet unnamed, had a few ideas, but you guys beat me to it) Geo - Bay Area, Campbell CA

Comments:

Purchased my Westy (Salvage Title) approx 3 months ago in Sacramento - Full Camper, Exc Condition, Low Miles, Fresh Parts, Brown w/beige interior, 4-speed, AC, miles (105K)

Second VW but first Van. Had a 69 Beetle in the early 70's.

Mechanically incompetent ... or close to it.

Reason for purchase ..... ~ July 2002 I plan to gently slide behind the wheel of my properly prepared 85 Westy and drive the four points of the compass for many, many miles. North when it's hot, south when it's cold etc. Duration only limited by desire. Might be a month, might be a year, might keep orbiting like one of those Satellites.

Thus the Westy will be home.

Found a good local mechanic and told him ..... we need to go thru it top to bottom and repair/replace anything that might fail within 50,000 of continuous driving. Looked at me weird, then I saw these dollar sign kinda of sparkles in his eyes, he began hyperventilating. After I paper bagged him and he calmed down we talked about a long term relationship and fair honest treatment ........ Have always been leery of commitment so at this point I began hyperventilating.

We then put a plan together to space out what was needed ... chunk it down if you will over the nxt several mnths.

Overall plan:

1. Mechanical repairs - Ongoing a. Front end b. Misc odds & ends c. Rebuild Transaxle etc d. Check and Rebuild trans (4 sp) if needed e. Rebuild 1.9 Waterboxer 2. New Tires & Shocks - Bridgestone LT Reinforced sidewall & KYB Gas Shocks - DONE 3. Rubber, as in hoses replacement - to be done 4. Awning / Shady Boy (Installed by GoWesty) - DONE 5. Roof rack for very light weight Kayak .... don't scold me . .. I know the load limit and stress factors - DONE 6. Rear bike rack ..... Gary Lee's wonderful creation - Done 7. Replace all interior carpet - On Order from GoWesty - in process 8. Replace Skylight - GoWesty - Done 9. Add more interior lighting - Parts received most frm West Marine / Need to install 10. Add 2 interior fans - see lighting above 11. Redo do electrical system, inverter/converter ... extra outlets, Deep Cycle Ax Battery etc. - to be done 12. Add Vented Furnace (still researching ... short list is Suburban, Espar B1LC, Carver) - to be done 13. New 3 window poptop & Install - GoWesty DONE 14. Purchase Honda 1000 watt generator (lots of dry camping) - to be done 15. Purchase & Install Black Metal bumpers (rear on order, still need front) - to be done 16. Upgrade/rebuild/improve AC .. recent thread on topic was very helpful - to be done 17. Install sound system that integrates Laptop (MP3), Indash CD/FM/AM, Sat TV - to be done 18. Purchase & Install RV Satellite TV System (wish internet version was ready for RV market) - to be done 19. Purchase & Install all exterior door locks & rekey to same (BusDepot & Steve Sandlin) - in process 20. Purchase and install all exterior window/door rubber - to be done 21. Replace almost all exterior lighting lenses - Ongoing 22. Purchase & Install 4 headlight grill (South African etc) - to be done 23. Repaint exterior / Original VW Brown color - to be done 24. Purchase & Install all exterior decals - to be done 25. Everything else I forget or don't know yet - to be done

Any comments, suggestions, sources, feedback etc are more than welcome.

Please forgive the length of this message. This will be my one time overly long dialog for 2001.

Humbly,

Larry Chase