Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Nov 2001 08:53:14 -0700
From:         "Michael A. Radtke" <michael.radtke@BULL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thumping when start van

Hello,

Is it possible that it's a bearing knock?

When the anti drain back valve fails in the oil filter it is common to get a couple of thunks from the engine on start before the oil gets going again. The fix is easy; put in a new oil filter.

Mike -- Phoenix AZ '84

---------- From: Michael Radtke X4897[SMTP:michael.radtke@bull.com] Reply To: michael.radtke@bull.com Sent: Wednesday, November 21, 2001 7:54 AM Subject: [Fwd: Thumping when start van]

-------- Original Message -------- Subject: Thumping when start van Date: Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:46:48 -0800 From: "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM> Reply-To: "Greenamyer, William L" <William.Greenamyer@WEST.BOEING.COM> To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM

Some of you may have experienced this. The 84GL doesn't do it when I am trying to listen for the thump. When I start it (maybe 40% of the time), I get a single thump and sometimes two thumps. Everything starts fine and the van runs pretty good. I am trying to attack some problems still remaining. There doesn't seem to be anything loose but I have been wrong on that before (and found a bolt or something missing on a bracket). What it sounds like is maybe the motor mount is bouncing (for lack of better words to describe it). There does not appear to be hard metal contact (like slamming two bars together) but it is more like two pieces of metal banging together through a piece of rubber. Could the starter be causing this problem?

William