Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Nov 2001 11:49:13 -0800
From:         Aristotle Sagan <killer_jupiter@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: [vanagon] Re: TIICO vs. CA
Comments: To: KENWILFY@AOL.COM

Sorry Ken, your leg was pulled. All vehicles go through a visual inspection before they hook up the sensors. They check for specific emmissions control items such as EGR valves, type of fuel system, number of cylinders, etc. If you mucked with it, it fails. They won't even do the test. Some of these people have really wierd test setups though. One guy had this huge butterfly shaped inductance sensor that couldn't pick out just the one ignition wire that it was suppose to. We wound up putting it over the battery.! It worked. ???

I thinks tiico needs to do their homework like Kennedy did with the Subaru conversion kits to be fair to their California customers. If I were gonna do a conversion... Subie power it would be just for that reason. Or find a holed diesel westy and do the I4 that way.

Do I think the system is right or fair? Nope, but we live with it and our air beats the heck out of NYC, Wash DC and most other East Coast Cities. That's a far cry from what it was like in the mid seventies when I stationed out here.

tim obrien (breathing relatively clean air) in San Jose