Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 21 Nov 2001 15:26:41 -0800
From:         ID Workshop <idworkshop@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Thump, Thump, Thump when turning????

I thought I was the only one....I have had this thumping problem for over a year.

My '86 Synchro made this dull thumping sound for the first quarter mile of travel and then would go away. It sounds like the left rear wheel from where I sit. It was definitely related to road speed, not engine speed. It was defiantly related to ambient temperature. I did not notice the thumping in the summer and it became apparent in the winter. The thumping took longer to go away the colder the outside temperature was. The van had to sit for hours for the noise to return. It sounded and felt like one of my tires was taking a "set" while parked. I assumed that as the tire rolled and heated up, it was returning to round. I basically just procrastinated fixing it and kept driving......

Last spring I was returning to Portland, Oregon from a motorcycle road race at Sears Point, In the SF Bay area, with my race bikes in tow. A small driveline vibration became a van shaking shimmy over the next six hundred miles. Three of my four tires had gone egg shaped.

The Tire shop replaced my tires at cost, and I was on my way again thinking it was just a bad batch of tires. Well, when the temperature dropped in October, thump thump thump. With four nearly new tires. I was now thinking CV joint.

I have since replaced the engine with a TiiCo conversion and that mad no difference, as I expected.

Last weekend I replaced my rattling rear Gabriel air shocks with OME shocks and guess what? No more thump thump thump.

So, could it have been the old shocks? They don't rotate. Could the new shocks be masking the problem more effectively?

I am relieved the Thump is gone, but I can't help but think it'll come back to haunt me. I guess I'll have the CV's checked. They only have 40K on them though (130K on the van).

Any thoughts?

Jon