Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 15 Nov 2001 23:07:55 -0800
From:         Cary Chiang <cchiang1@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Optima versus Group 41 batteries

Mark:

Actually, there is a Group 42 battery that fits under Vanagon seats as well. Many battery fitment charts indicate it as the "correct" size battery for Vanagons (including Walmart, I believe), probably because it is a little smaller and easier to install. It has the same height, terminal configuration, and price as a Group 41, but is weaker in regards to cranking amps. BTW, it should be pointed out that price and under-seat fitment aside, standard type car batteries are a poor choice for camping, as they won't last long under steady current drain, and draining them till they're dead will kill their life expectancy (of course with Walmart, you have a two year replacement warranty!). It is probably better to pay $10-20 more at Walmart for their deep cycle / marine starting battery, and put it in a plastic battery box under the rear seat. Although still a compromise, it will do both jobs, and in the short term is cheaper than two golf cart batteries.

Cary

Cary

Date: Thu, 15 Nov 2001 16:17:01 -0800 From: Bill Kasper <dragonlist@IPMTS.UCSC.EDU> Subject: Re: Optima deep cycle batt. as starting battery?

so are there any deep cycle, group 41 batteries?

bill '87 syncro westfalia