Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 3)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 19 Nov 2001 09:14:24 -0800
From:         gary hradek <hradek@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      a dirty brake resevoir, a flushing question

Scott's question regarding flushing the the power steering system made me notice that my steering fluid was looking dirty and old. Having to make a trip to vw I inquired about the 35 dollar per liter special thinner juice that we use in our power steering racks. No longer available but he did point out to me that vanagons did have a problem with power steering fluid compatiblity. Add the wrong stuff and bang, every seal in the rack is leaking. A thought came to me that I like thoses who have come before me address the issue of buying the juice when we need to add. Why was I adding???? which brings me to the dirty brake resevoir. I have heard that it is a good idea to flush our brake and clutch fluids on a regular basis. In fact I have always noticed my master cylinder failure occurs when the fluid begins to look very dirty. Most of the time the fluid looks clean in those nice platic resevoir, but as soon as it turns black your looking at trouble. Once I even changed the dirty fluid but the master failed weeks later. You could argue that I waited too long and flushing should be done on a more regular basis. But I am surprised by how quickly and how black the resevoir becomes when it turns like a bad wine. Just like adding power steering fluid when the chamber become low (chicken or egg) leads to a leaking system perhaps the dirty resevoir is just the rubber from the cups of the master cylinder doing its final death dance. If this is the case, perhaps no amount of flushing can prevent this. Which is the point I would like to make. I believe that there ismuch. too much flushing going on amomg list members. Wasteful flushing. It's not that I do not believe in a good flush not and then. I would always flush when changing out the rear wheel cylinders. And yes by all means flush when you change the front pads but becareful not to back flush when you push the pistons in to make room for the new pads. But for brake shoes do not waste your time flushing because you may have to flush again when the wheel cylinders begin leaking. So what have you accomplished there, just a double flush. flushing mad, gary