Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Nov 2001 15:24:41 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: Seat Modifications
Comments: To: James Cardwell <james.cardwell@RSLCOM.CA>

I've found good seats at recycling yards but I am also going to build a seat to go between the two front seats so my honey can sit next to me. You just have to be patient with the yards because parts go quickly. There are a lot of us looking.

William Vanagon site http://members.home.net/holisticdream/vanagon1989.htm Holistic Health Center site http://members.home.net/wholehealthfound/welcome.html

----- Original Message ----- From: "James Cardwell" <james.cardwell@RSLCOM.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Friday, November 23, 2001 6:49 AM Subject: Seat Modifications

I have recently purchases a 1983 water-cooled Vanagon, 7-passanger with all fixed seats. My search for a Van took quite a while - and I was looking only at the 'weekender' editions of the Vanagon. I was looking for the hardtop since we do a lot of cannoning - often carrying two canoes on the racks - and did not want the extra high weight of the of the camper). A rear seat that folds down to a bed would have been ideal for over-nighting at put-in's. The 83 - 7 passenger that I purchased was in much better shape than any weekender that I looked at - both in body and mechanical - and negotiated a price that was almost 1/2 of any other Van I looked at. So now I need to convert the rear-fixed seat to a bench seat that can fold down into a bed - idealing keeping the middle 2-seat bench in place, (my dog really likes that spot).

Does anyone have recommendations on approaches to this task? Is it better to search wrecking yards for a stock Vanagon rear seat/bed - or to build one myself? If the latter - any design/material recommendations?

Thanks for any suggestions offered.

-James Cardwell Vancouver, BC