Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2001 00:33:09 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Your horn problem and "The big long look"
Comments: To: Julianna Thoennes <mumbrue@HOME.COM>

I'm just a newcomer at this but there is no way a horn problem requires a new steering wheel.

on a friend's Toyota they wanted $350 for a part to fix a turn signal arm that broke. I took a hose clamp and some ingenuity and it works great. Fixed for under one dollar.

The first problem with a lot of repairs is that many people just do not want to look at the problem long enough to see what the REAL problem is. If you look long enough the solution will occur to you.

The second problem is that a lot of people believe what "experts" tell them.

Just remember it is your vehicle and NO ONE knows it better than you. Just get into the habit of looking long enough at the problem. A wise friend of mine and my guru so to speak used to call this "the big long look."

The big long look always and I mean always reveals a solution AND at the lowest cost with the least materials and the least impact on the environment.

An 80 year old professor of mine in my PhD study days 30 years ago, in a course called "future studies" predicted the problems we now have with overfilled landfills and waste in our society. Everyone said that it was cheaper to just buy a new part. He said, "first fix it, if you can't fix it, make it, if all else fails then and only then buy a new part."

----- Original Message ----- From: Julianna Thoennes To: vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM Sent: Saturday, November 24, 2001 12:18 AM Subject: Steering wheel problems

Well Stan made me think of my horn problems on my steering wheel. Several months ago, the contact ring on the on the upper side of the steering wheel started shredding, and sounding the horn when I would turn a corner. I started duct taping it, and I finally went down to the dealer. The parts guy had a heck of a time figuring out what I was telling him. Finally he got what I was saying, and told me the only way to fix it was to purchase a new steering wheel. Please guys, and gals tell me its not true! Stan said something about a contactor ring in the steering wheel/seats thread, and prompted my post. Help?

Julianna 90 VW Vanagon Westfalia 76 VW Automatic Bay Westfalia 74 VW Beetle

[text/html]