Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2001 07:32:19 EST
From:         Ben T <BenTbtstr8@AOL.COM>
Subject:      Re: 6 cylinder engine? (longish response)
Comments: To: developtrust@home.com

In a message dated 11/23/01 11:20:52 PM Pacific Standard Time, developtrust@HOME.COM writes:

<< I've been searching the archives to find the messages abut the 6 cylinder engine some of you put in your Vanagons and I cannot seem to find it. Was it called the SR6? >>

William,

It sounds to me like you are referring to the VW VR6 engine. Some people have successfully fitted them to the Vanagon (T3 in Europe). You can view one such example by going to the links page of my webpage at:

http://hometown.aol.com/bentbtstr8/vanagoncafelinkspage.html

There's a section with links to various examples of engine swaps for the Vanagons.

The VR6 may not be the best choice for Vanagons as they are relatively rev happy. IIRC their best torque numbers are in the higher RPMs. The Vanagon needs more low end torque. Of course it is an improvement over anything installed by VW in the US spec Vanagons. BTW, it is called VR6 because the cylinders are arranged in a very tight V so that it resembles and inline-4 and can fit in the same space occupied by the 4-cylinder engines in Golfs, Jettas, Passats and Corrados (G/J/P/C).

These engines are readily available as replacement engines new and used from both VW and importers such as Overland. Overland is a wholesaler so you would need to get your engine from one of their dealers. I believe several on the listvendors are dealers for them. You can find URLs for some of these listvendors on the links page I listed above.

I have seen these engines go for as much as $5000 in used condition and as low as $2800 (that's what it cost me to get one new). The problem with doing the engine swap is you will need more than just the engine. That's when it makes more senses to buy the whole donor vehicle. Just acquiring the wiring harness and engine management controls will bankrupt most people. Not to mentioned you will need to purchase or manufacture a mount for it.

At least one listvendor I can think of offers a kit to install this engine. Go to my links page and locate David Marshall's Fast Forward Tuning (under the Engine Swap Category).

The other consideration for this engine is it will need to be installed in the same angle that it was designed to be in the G/J/P/C. That is because the upper portion of the engine is where the head and intake parts are located is too wide. Too wide to tilt at the preferred 54° in the inline-4 Vanagon conversions. BTW the inline-4 is canted this way to clear the rear decklid. That means you will need to make provisions to increase your deck lid height by about 3 inches to accommodate this powerplant. Now that does not seem like a big deal. However, if you have a rear folding bed/bench, you will find that you all of a sudden do not have a flat sleeping surface unless you want half your bed to be a hard surface. Fortunately there is a kit available to raise the bed in it's deployed position. The bad thing is they are expensive and as far as I know, only available for the Westy beds and not the Weekender bed/bench. Before someone jumps all over me on this, let me clarify that the so called Weekenders and/or Base Campers have Westy beds. The Weekender package in busses and Carats are a different design and requires a different hinge. I think David Marshall sells these things for about $230 plus shipping. I got mine for $100 plus shipping from someone who decided that he didn't want to go through this type of conversion.

BenT

ps: Those 4-wheel disc brake starts to become a necessity when your talking about these types of engines. My philosophy in hot-rodding is to learn to stop before you go. There's a link there for my 4-wheel disc project as well.