Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sat, 24 Nov 2001 19:21:09 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: naval jelly
Comments: To: edsato@juno.com

There is a neutralizing solution that is used with Naval Jelly, it cost about as much as the jelly. Not related to Naval jelly are several phosphating washes that can prohibit rust. I can't name them but I've seen them around.

Stan Wilder

On Sat, 24 Nov 2001 14:19:20 -1000 Ed Sato <edsato@JUNO.COM> writes: > I don't know if I remember this right. But after using Naval Jelly > the > chemical needs to be washed off with water before painting. Anyway > when > washing bare metal (iron) with water a coat of rust will develop > from the > interaction of metal and water. This reaction is unnoticeable to > the > naked eye. After painting areas that was treated rust developed > after a > few years. That is one of the reasons cars of before always rusted > on > body worked areas. Products such as osphos and other metal > protectant > products became more popular. They do not involve water and the > chemical > reacts with the rust that cannot be seen or cleaned to treat the > metal > before painting. Everyone feel free to trash me if I am wrong. > Aloha, Ed >