Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 22 Nov 2001 13:19:32 -0500
From:         Isaac Taylor <itaylor@MEDIAONE.NET>
Subject:      Re: Some interesting uses for VW engines...A new type of VW
              poweredcamper...
Comments: To: Todd Last <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM>

I don't think you'd realize much, if any, performance benefit -- unless you're moving more fuel, and faster. The stock ignition works well, as long as everything is on spec. Dual plug setups are not uncommon in race applications... esp. with high-boost turbo applications. In one rally vw (2.0 8V crossflow) I am familiar with, extra plugs are used to ignite extra fuel supplied by extra injectors on a custom rail. Even here though, redundancy is the primary goal, not performance improvement.

Isaac in Cambridge

----- Original Message ----- From: "Todd Last" <Rubatoguy@MINDSPRING.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2001 1:02 PM Subject: Re: Some interesting uses for VW engines...A new type of VW poweredcamper...

Take a look at the motor. Note that they have put dual plugs in the VW motor. I know that aircraft have dual ignitions as a safety feature, and it is quite popular to dual plug Harley Ironhead motors for better running and gas mileage.

I wonder if you could dual plug a waterboxer, and if so, if it would offer any performance improvement?

Todd '88 Westy