Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Nov 2001 13:07:58 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: 81 Westy 2.0 Rebuild
Comments: To: Ron Schlamp <r.schlamp@SK.SYMPATICO.CA>

Ron,

I have gotten some great advice on this list from others.

One person has put soundproofing foam in the bottom of the door panels-- below where widows need clearance-- to cut down on road noise. If you are down to your floors I suggest you put that 1/2 inch carpet padding down on your floors and mould it around your driver panels, pedals and such for extra sound proofing and maybe new door seals if you can afford it. http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=14860&BQ=jcw2

Sean (http://www.vgonman.com/index.html) and I are both buying insulation sheeting for soundproofing (from www.JCWhitney.com ) to put in our storage areas under the seats and floor and battery boxes and elsewhere. To see the product go to: http://www.jcwhitney.com/SearchCatContainer.jhtml?_requestid=52646

As for reliability there is no problem money can not solve. I spent over $1100 replacing cooling pipes, gas lines, distributor & rotor, lubricating clutch linkage, etc.. To see my maintenance log go to my Vanagon page below my signature. I just bought my "fixer upper" on 11-4-01.

I hope this helps. In my younger days I would have done most of this work myself and I still do a lot in my 60 young years, but the old body is just not as flexible as they rest of you young pups and I can not bend and hold those odd postures you need to get to where the nitty gritty is. So I hire people and earn the money to get it done. But I am also smart enough to shop around and compare. for every repair I have done so far I have gotten 5 estimates or done it myself. I did my own body work for example which is so easy to do.

William Polowniak 1760 Lake Drive Cardiff, CA 92007-1141 760-753-0321

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ron Schlamp" <r.schlamp@SK.SYMPATICO.CA> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Sunday, November 25, 2001 12:50 PM Subject: 81 Westy 2.0 Rebuild