Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 25 Nov 2001 19:32:30 -0600
From:         Stan Wilder <wilden1@JUNO.COM>
Subject:      Re: [T2] Power cleaners
Comments: To: hmagan67@hotmail.com
Comments: cc: type2@type2.com, doktortim@rockisland.com,
          wetwesties@yahoogroups.com

With the camp grounds in Texas totally empty and my backlog of parts that I'm planning on installing the power washer experience is an aid to me and not a hindrance or damaging procedure. The areas I cleaned have previously been maintained and were not exceptionally impacted with any major greasy buildups. I have all of the front suspension parts for my Westy (278K on the old parts) that installation starts this coming Tuesday, I also have the new CV boots and a tranny that I'm going to install (I always run used trannys before I offer them for sale) that installation will take place the next week. So in spite of my poor use of grammar and my lousy punctuation I did not just fall off the back of a turnip truck. I knew what I was doing and I knew exactly why I wanted to power wash those areas. As for environmental issues....... my driveway run-off is no more destructive to the city sewers than the fertilizers, insecticides or grass clippings that all of my neighbors pump into the system every week all year. The neighbor on my West side brought me a cake last night and the neighbor on the East side of me took me to lunch today so; If the cake isn't full of ground glass and the East side neighbor didn't stick me with the lunch tab. I'd say I'm at peace with the world. Additionally they both had the power sprayer company clean their sidewalks and driveways so the operator of the spray equipment told me anytime I had a quickie job, he'd swing by and it would be a freebie to me. I've really taxed my mind and I just can't come up with any regrets. I concur with the concerns about cutting, blowing out or ruining seals and parts, that just wasn't one of my concerns.

Stan Wilder ---------------- snip -------------------- > What about the environmental issues with all that grime going down > the > driveway into the gutters? Where I live, I'd have all sorts of > problems! > Howard Magan > '78 Sevenseater(Lilli-Marlene) ------------- snip ------------------------ Now you can think about all the water that you forced into places that water really isn't supposed to go. 3000PSI goes past rubber seals with no problem at all, but how does the water (and soap?) get back out? ------------ snip --------------------- That's probably enough pressure to rip a CV boot right off'un there. Probably blow the grease out of a Cat D-9 link pin. Very dangerous procedure. Keep an ear out for your bearings starting to rumble what with the grit and water/steam forced into the rear hubs. More than garden hose sprayer force is a bad idea for lots of places on a vehicle. Even that is too much directed at shaft seals unless a soft low pressure spray is employed. ________________________________________________________________ GET INTERNET ACCESS FROM JUNO! Juno offers FREE or PREMIUM Internet access for less! Join Juno today! For your FREE software, visit: http://dl.www.juno.com/get/web/.