Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2001 09:19:02 -0500
From:         Timothy Hannink <tjhannink@EARTHLINK.NET>
Subject:      Re: Pulling the Dash (fascia)

I have done this 3 or 4 times and it takes me an hour to remove and two hours to re-install. The toughest part is figuring out how all of the switches come off without breaking any of the little plastic tabs.

This is the order I do things in:

Disconnect primary battery Remove ashtray Remove center defroster vents Remove fuse box cover Lower fuse block Remove glove compartment Remove outer defroster vents Now I can remove my dashboard cover Remove Steering wheel - You don't have to but it makes the fascia easier to get out of the van. Remove instrument panel cover Remove instrument panel (I typically leave the switches connected and push them through the holes in the fascia) Remove hoses from the front fascia vents Remove the steering column cover Remove the two bolts with conical heads holding the column to the fascia (I use a pair of channel-lock pliers) Those two bolts are threaded into two braces that run between the fascia and the front of the van. Swing those braces away from the fascia or they will hang up when removing the fascia. Pull knob from rear heater fan switch Remove rear heater fan switch Pull knob from front fan switch Pull levers from heater controls (be careful, its easy to pull the indicators off of the lever controls, the levers also tend to get caught on the faceplate) Gently pry off heater control faceplate Remove light assembly from back of heater control panel Remove 3 screws holding heater control lever mechanism to the dash (2 are on the front of the fascia, one is in the instrument panel opening) Remove radio (if your unable to get the radio out you can remove it with the fascia, you will need to pull the fascia out a couple of inches to access all of the connectors on the back of the radio Remove the A/C control knobs Remove the A/C switches from the fascia Remove the lighter socket from the fascia Remove the 5 Phillips screws from the top area of the fascia near the windshield Remove the 4 Phillips screws holding the fascia in each door jamb Pull out on the fascia rotating the front upward and the assembly should come out

Of course, assembly is the reverse of removal. Pay close attention to the routing of the heater control cables especially near the radio, A/C controls and rear fan switch.

A couple of related items: This is a good time to lubricate the windshield wiper mechanism and repair/replace any windshield washer hoses. If you have a manual transmission, this is a great time to check the pedal assembly, especially if the clutch pedal is squeaking. The pedal assembly and power brake booster can be removed without disconnecting any of the hydraulic lines. Clean up the ground connector behind the fuse block Note the position of the fuses and relays located behind the fuse block for future reference I have a supply of Ziplock bags that I use to keep all of the small parts (i.e. knobs, switches, screws etc...) together If you're really anal, clean and wax the sheetmetal ductwork behind the fascia.:>)

Good luck,

Tim Hannink Goldibox 1987 Vanagon Camper Winter Park, Florida http://home.earthlink.net/~tjhannink/

----- Original Message ----- From: "Edward Nutter" <eanutter@POSTOFFICE.PACBELL.NET> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Monday, November 26, 2001 4:07 AM Subject: Re: Pulling the Dash