Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2001 22:16:05 -0500
From:         Ignace Speybrouck <ignace@SYMPATICO.CA>
Subject:      1985 FAST idle

Hi,

I have a problem with the idle of my 85 GL Vanagon.

When I start it cold, it start willingly and settle to a very regular fast idle.

When the temp needle begin to move, the engine slows a little bit and begin to idle very roughly. Never dies though. Step on the gas and it revs right up with no misses or backfire. When I lift my foot from the gas pedal the idle isn't going back as slow as it should. Runs very well on highway with gas milleag around 25 mpg at 65 mph. Horrible figures though in town due to this FAST idle thing.

Here is what I did and adjust.

Full tune-up (cap, rotor, plugs, plug wires, timming set to 5 ATDC, air filter, fuel filter) The gas cable isn't sticky nor very old. Throttle valve switch adusted as per Bentley (design with one switch) New electrical connector to the AFM No vaccuum leaks Idle srew all the way in. No difference in idle with idle stabilizer in or out Complete new and tight exhaust system New O2 sensor All visible engine compartment ground cleaned

I have access to the CO adusting plug on the AFM, I guess a previous owner removed the sealing cap. The adusting plug is way in the hole, Bentley suggest that the plug should be flush with the top of the AFM. Since the Vanagon is running fine except for the idle thing I didn't touched it yet.

Someone suggested the temp sending unit, the one that gives info to the computer.

The van has about 110 000 miles.

Any ideas ?

Thanks in advance !

Ignace

1967 Volvo 144S 1985 Vanagon GL 1989 Mazda B2200 ($ 300 junk hauler)