Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2001 21:24:16 -0800
From:         Tom Moritz <tmoritz@BMI.NET>
Subject:      Re: Replacement Prodcedure for Kitchen Light

Larry,

You will have to remove the storage shelf to replace the light. The wires are held in a grove routed in the back with a staple. You might be able to remove the fixture and disconnect the wires then connect it to the new fixture. If not here are some instructions on removing the shelf.

1) Unhook the curtains 2) Remove the metal cover from the center roof frame. This metal cover looks like an oversize J bead located overhead when you are sitting in the rear seat. It is held in place by four philips head machine screws. 3) Pry of the four plastic screw head cover caps. Three along the wall and one just forward of the shelf on the ceiling. Remove the screws four screws. 4) Remove the carriage bolt attaching the shelf to the closet. 5) Remove the two screws from the left hinge of the upper bed. 6) Looking from above find the four plastic cover caps where the metal back of the shelf wraps over the edge of the roof opening. Remove the caps and the screws underneath. 7) The shelf should be free now. Remove the shelf carefully so the the small bracket at the front of the shelf doesn't rip the headliner. You will also need to disconnect the light wires at this time. 8) Install in reverse order.

I recommend you take the time to install a second light just over the stove and sink. It makes it much easier to see when cooking and cleaning up after dark. Just tie in a hot and ground wire from the connection for the existing light. Just make sure the hot wire can't ground out anywhere. I routed a 1/4" channel for wire leads similar to what was existing for the other light so the shelf would go back together without interference. I can't recall if this was really necessary. It should be evident once you have the shelf down.

Good luck,

Tom Moritz

At 12:00 AM 11/26/01 -0500, you wrote: *snip* > >I would like to remove the Kitchen Light Fixture and install two new ones on >the same panel. > >How to I disassemble the panel to get access to the wiring? > *snip*