Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 27 Nov 2001 12:53:33 -0500
From:         Harold Teer <teerhb@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Replacement Prodcedure for Kitchen Light

Larry,

Several years ago, I too was unhappy with the amount of light provided by the kitchen light. In addition, I wanted a source of light in the back for reading at night. To me, the original kitchen light had a soft light good for reading but I wanted stronger light in the kitchen area. So, I replaced the kitchen light with two Thin-Lite #171 fixtures that each draw .9 amps(http://www.windsun.com/Misc_AE/Thin-Lite.htm). One placed where the original light was and the other over the sink and I installed the original kitchen light in the back. When I mounted the old kitchen light in the rear (over the bed) I placed it parallel to the side of the van and close to the passenger side so that it wouldn't be easily hit when loading things in the van. That placement has worked great for us.

Over the years, I have made other modifications (propex heater, Berg short shift, cup holders, map pocket on passenger side door, shelf in closet, ect.) but my wife and I believe the light modification is the single most valuable modification we have made. It makes camping in the van easier and more enjoyable. I don't have a good website for my vanagon stuff (a future project)but I could send you digital pictures of the light installation if you wish.

To remove the kitchen light, I followed Bentley page 76.4. Since your Bentley hasn't arrived, let me try and summarize. Remove the curtains on that side, remove cover from the center roof frame (gray panel across top that joins both sides of the van near the kitchen light) by removing 4 phillips screws. Pry off cover caps on the panel that holds the kitchen light and remove screws--one is above the drivers seat. Remove nut in clothes closet from bolt and push carrige bolt out. Remove two screws from hinge of front bed board on that side. Pry off cover caps and remove screws that hold the storage tray. According to Bently, be careful when removing tray so as not to damage headliner. Bently says to bend bracket above drivers seat slightly downward before removing. Frankly, I don't remember doing that part. Now, remove the old light, splice wiring, and install the new lights. Reinstall everything by reversing the procedure.

Hope this helps,

Harold >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Harold Teer Harrisonburg, VA teerhb@hotmail.com '91 Westy