Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 23 Nov 2001 23:31:07 +1200
From:         Andrew Grebneff <andrew.grebneff@STONEBOW.OTAGO.AC.NZ>
Subject:      Re: 62 bus question-  NVC

>Happy Thanksgiving everyone! I'm killing the day planning my next >VW project... I'm looking at a 62' bus to purchase and use for a >daily driver. I'm not real familiar with the air cooled vw's, >especially old buses. The body is solid(from georgia), with a 1600 >engine. The engine and trans are in fine working order. I am in NC >so I don't care about lack of heat etc. I can do all the required >work myself, but I really don't know what kind of reliablilty I >could expect from this vehicle. I plan to mechanically rebuild the >bus, but keep the cost down by forgetting cosmetics for now. Any >ideas /thoughts /information would be helpful. Thanks > >Matt

I loved my 57 panel and 66 Kombi. They were really reliable, and I thrashed them mercilessly. The 57 had the old 36hp 1200, but eventually I fitted a 1300 with 1600 top-end, which performed extremely well, hitting 80mph with ease (don't ask what rpm it was turning at that speed). I drove it everywhere at 60mph. When I found a blown 1835 dual-port i snagged it and used its 12V generator, fitted semisealed H4s and other bulbs (left wiper motor, starter etc 6V, and they worked great). I eventually put this engine into the 66, which didn't perform as well (taller gearing); had to put a resistor in the wiper circuit to prevent the arms attaining orbit.

If I could have afforded to derust the 66, modify the brakes, add electric luxuries, power steering etc and a big engine, Porsche trans and get rid of the swingaxles, I'd have kept it... or the 57 with same mods. No vehicle has the looks of these vans.

The only things I had problems with (we'll forget the three 36hp blowups... forgot to top up the oil once and seized it at 70mph; someone filled the sump with gas and it seized; droped a valve... and the 1600 seized at 80mph when the oilcooler, not fitted properly by the PO when he rebuilt it, fell off at that time...) were rust, worn kingpins in the 57 and weak 6V electrics (always park on a hill, with no cars between you and a coasting start).

I only adjusted the valves once or twice in the 10years I drove these buses, and never even checked the heads for cracks. but then, they weren't dual-port. If you get hydraulic cases you won't NEED to adjust valves anyway.

The most important thing is a rust-free body. you can change engine or trans, but the body is the REAL heart of any car.