Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2001 07:36:27 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      This list community and falling in love with a vanagon versus my
              Mercedes Benz

This list community has already saved me many hundreds of dollars and a lot of unnecessary aggravation.

Today I am shipping off to San Francisco from San Diego, a large wardrobe box with the two seats with adjustable arm rests and head rests I sold in only 2 days on ebay. I would never have thought of using a wardrobe box which is perfect for this cargo. Thanks to who offered this idea and to he who referred www.forwardair.com to us all.

Thanks to this group and referral to forward air.com we have saved the buyer over $100 in shipping costs compared to UPS. My buyer was so prompt in paying for the seats with PayPal I steam cleaned his seats for him free with my commercial steam cleaner (Boy, did those apparently clean seats need a cleaning.) I did not want to ship dirty seats.

I found myself in love with my wonderful Vanagon again. There is no way I could have loaded that large box without renting a truck. Yet, in this marvelous vehicle I just fold up the jump seat, slide the cargo in and off to forward air, making decent MPG on the trip.

I know this love affair with a machine (the Vanagon) is not new to you all, but I am delighted with it and find myself in amazement with all the predictions of "Vanagon syndrome" you all say I will experience after owning it for a year or more.

I also own a Mercedes which I love, but I also have maintenance issues with it. Things break or it leaks oil. I fix it. No problem. I love these vehicles.

I see the Vanagon just as reliable as the Mercedes. They both have luxury features. Maybe I am missing something when many of you all suggest the Vanagon is a continuing problem. I have never known an automobile that did not need continuing care to continue to be reliable.

I am hoping to find a class somewhere that will help me learn how to replace my own brakes, clutch and such when the time comes. Do such classes exist in the San Diego area? I'd like to enroll in one.

William