Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2001 09:08:53 -0800
From:         Tobin Copley <tobin.copley@UBC.CA>
Subject:      Update from ex-member: Mike's '79 working out OK after all

Forwarding this to the list by request.

====== original email below ====== Date: Sun, 28 Apr 96 17:45:28 0500 From: ----------- To: copley@healthcare.ubc.ca Subject: (no subject) X-Url: http://www.chaco.com/~coyote/trek/people.html

Tobin,

Hi, you probably don't even remember me. My name is Mike and about 6 weeks ago on the vanagon mail list asking advice about buying my first westy. The first duty of said westy was to transport me and my belongings from Colorado to New York State. I was asking about a '79 which had been in an accident or two and got lots of advice against it. I decided against it too based on that. With my computer connection there shut down and time growing short I went back for a second and third look and finally succombed to the dream and bought the advised against '79 westy (Mexico beige with mango doors... not original... and cool green, brown plaid). Well, I'm happy to say that I write this from a friends terminal only 3 hours from my home in NY. The bus has been performing admirably. Only one break down which left me homeless in Lincoln Nebraska for about four hours while the VW dealer there informed my that the starter was fine but the battery negative stap had corroded and that's why it didn't start when I shut if off to get gas. All that caused the 45 mile tow which was payed for by AAA, whom I had hedged my bets with before setting out. I had also had a tune up done and compression checked.. it was good. Anyway... I just wanted to say thanks again for the advice and could you pass that on to the list and tell everyone thanks again for all the advice. I won't have net presence again for a while but when I do I will get a page up with pictures and spend the summer working on the westy and learning Spanish. With any luck I will be back on the list soon to glean advice from the masters and if all goes well I plan the Mexico trek for next year. Thanks for supporting the dream.

Mike

P.S. unfortunately I didn't see one other bus on the road from Colorado to NY.. though I got many thumbs up and some pictures taken.

P.S. #2 This is a friends e-mail so I can't be reached here.

P.S. #3 Hope you remember who I am.. if not.. then sorry for confusing you but thanks for the advice just the same.

======= end original email ====== -- ------------------------------------------------------------------------- Tobin Copley Bowen Island, BC, Canada 49deg 23'N-123deg 19'W

'82 Westfalia 1.6L NA diesel ("Stinky") '97 son Russell ============= '99 daughter Margaret /_| |_L| |__|:| clatter SPEED KILLS! {. .| clatter! Drive a Vanagon diesel ~-()-==----()-~