Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2001 18:10:08 -0800
From:         Myron Lind <mdlind@RICA.NET>
Subject:      Re: Torque Wench - calibration?
Comments: To: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>

Clamp a socket, extension, etc in a soft jaw vise with the torque wrench sticking out perfectly horizontal (the handle must be able to pivot). Measure from the axis around which the socket pivots out to the end of the handle, or to where you are going to "hang" your weight. Find a 10 lb (25kg) or whatever weight you are curious about. Multiply that weight with the length where you will hang your weight (ie foot-pound, Newtons: (kg x --umm, help me out here, someone). Take your resulting number and dial the wrench to that reading (length x weight--the math you just did a second ago). Hang your known weight at the measured length (use a coat hanger, etc). That is the weight (and distance) at which the wrench should click (or where the needle should point).

How close is it? Depends how accurate you are with the measurements. Probably a lot closer than not using one at all.

Myron Lind 81 Westy

----- Original Message ----- From: David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 9:07 AM Subject: Re: Torque Wench - calibration?