Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 28 Nov 2001 21:39:04 -0500
From:         Vanagon Man <puzerewski@MSN.COM>
Subject:      Re: Missing Exhaust bolts
Comments: To: lkadams@telusplanet.net

Your examples of stainless that you are showing, mainly alloy 409 and 410 are not corrosion resistant. I have scrapped many a ton of those alloys as a Naval shipyard closed in my city. Stronger than steel, yes, and more of a gray color than a shiny stainless we are used to seeing.

316l, on the other hand is strong. It is also more difficult to obtain tin the form of the bolts that we would need for exhaust. A lot of people would be sold lesser grade 301 without ever knowing the difference, and only a reputable bolt supplier could honestly provide you with the right stuff.......visibly they look exactly the same.

A quick test for good stainless is to have a little magnet on a string or chain. If the magnet pulls ever so slightly to the stainless, it is most likely a better grade than 301 most likely 316, unless dealing with a chemical plant or something. This is a generalization for practical purposes, for not all of us are chemical engineers or metallurgists here. A lot of us on the list are plain folk that either are mechanics full time or shade tree that have a lot of hands on experience. I may not be a metallurgist or a chemist, but I have crawled under more than my share of vanagons, bugs, busses and other things to get the engineering types back on the road that could not pull their own wrench to get out of Harlem at midnight.

Adam P 81 westy (3 of them) 74 beetle 73 Transporter (at paint shop!) 70 Single Cab "Whitey" Vanagon Partsmobiles ----- Original Message ----- From: "Keith Adams" <lkadams@telusplanet.net> To: "Vanagon Man" <puzerewski@MSN.COM>; <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Wednesday, November 28, 2001 6:08 PM Subject: Re: Re: Missing Exhaust bolts