Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 15:38:21 +1100
From:         Stephen Overmyer <s.overmyer@UWS.EDU.AU>
Subject:      Re: Has anyone added a rear swaybar to their westy?

Hi Tony,

At 20:03 28/11/01 -0500, you wrote:

>Has anyone added a rear swaybar to their Westy?....Vanagons too.....

No,but please read on... > >If so, Did you upgrade the fronts?....ie: from 7/8 to 1-inch

Yes,25mm Whiteline swaybar & polyeurethane bushes made by Selbys (prolly a local brand, may not be available under that name in the US) > >Did the van handle better with just the new rear swaybar added?........Is >there a noticable difference with both?

There was/is a noticeable difference with a larger front bar fitted. Gives a nice flat ride. The reason I chose not to fit a rear sway bar as well (and I did consider it) was that the rear one will restrict the suspension travel of the driving wheels and this would have lead to reduced traction on the kind of rough roads/tracks I often seem to find myself on,especially heading to some of my favourite semi-secret surfing beaches. If your driving is 100% paved roads/urban driving or only good graded dirt roads,then I'd say go for it and improve handling to the max.If you like to go off the beaten track...consider it carefully,although the extra weight of a Westy may partially counteract this arguement....dunno.

> >Just picking your brains on what to do to help the van handle better.......

Well FWIW,this is what I've done and my van sticks to the road like sh*t to a nappy...

*25mm front sway bar as detailed above *Koni adjustable shocks-front & rear *15x7" alloy rims shod with 215/60 good quality tyres *Regular wheel alignments...or at least a check (not so much a handling improvement but sure makes your tyres last longer)

Notes on the above:

Bilstein shocks will give comparable performance to the Konis but personally I prefer the ride of the Konis...Y(and others)MMV... My van is not a Westy so I am not interested in posts chastising my tyre choice 'cos they are not 8 ply or whatever...my current set of tyres are only the third set in 223,500kms and they have plenty of tread left still.Never had a blowout or a tyre problem other than a slow leak from a screw that became imbedded in the tyre... but for a westy,granted your tyre choice is more limited and the option of a suitable lower profile tyre is prolly nil...but the stiffer sidewall of a suitable Westy tyre more than likely off-sets that restriction...

One VW nut's opinion,doubtless there are many more...;)

Cheers, Steve O Blue Mountains NSW Australia. '92 Transporter WBX Kombi (original owner) '76 Transporter Double Cab '68 Beetle '00 Transporter 5Cyl Double Cab (work truck)

"mommy,when I grow up I want to be a musician" "well dear,you can't do both..."