Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 4)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 26 Nov 2001 23:19:57 -0800
From:         Wayne Hagan <waynehagan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: knocking sound in tranny

Here is my long winded experience with Knocking sounds in my 91 Syncro tranny.

Over the past year I noticed a rattling noise coming from the rear when I was at idle and close to a wall. One of the critical diagnostic things was that it only did it if I had the clutch disengaged, when I pushed in the clutch petal it would go away. My local mechanic diagnosed it as a failed main shaft bearing and said it would require a complete rebuild, around $3000.00 parts and labor. The main shaft diagnosis seemed to make sense seeing as clutch petal pressure would take the slop out of the tranny bearing. I needed this van to move to NYC last summer and didn't have 3k lying aroud so I searched the internet for advice and found Darel at AA Transaxel willing to check it out for me (Seattle area). He has been doing german transaxels for over 20 years and specializes in vans. He even had a syncro tranny on the bench when I was there. After his inspection he guessed it might be a reverse idler gear that was rattling and that crusing to NYC should not be a problem. He found it hard to believe that my main bearing would be going out with only 75K on the van. He recomended I change the oil and check for any unusual amount of filings in the oil or on the plug magnet just to make shure. This I did, and the oil and magnet were almost like new.

Well I made it to NYC fine but after a while I noticed when it warmed up after a half an hour of driving a definate growl was coming from the tranny when it was under load (accelerating). I had to return to Seattle in the fall and I decided to take my chances on the road than dealing with an unknown mechanic in Manhatten. By the time I left, the the tranny had the grinding sound of my 1948 International truck. I made it to my fathers place in Minnesota and dumped the oil for an inspection, I found myself looking at what looked like golden pearlesent surup, few filings on the magnet though. I called AA for recomendations at this point. He decided I must have a main shart bearing problem after all, and that the suspended particles are aluminum that is being milled off the housing because forth gear is trying to bore a hole through the case. He thought I could still get home if I kept my shifting to a minimum and that the worse case scenario was that I would loose fourth and have to revert to third due to alignment issues.

After a rather nerve racking drive I did make it back and had him rebuild it (Syncro, $1895.00 3yr warrenty) he was as puzzeled as I was why a van with only 75K needed a rebuild, in his experience he didn't see syncro trannys much until after 200K. (Unless you use the crawler gear for bump starting, the 6:1 ratio will blow the gear out of the case!) Turns out on dissassembly that one of bearing cartriges on the main shaft (I think) had a pin bearing missing! It must have fallen out in assembly because it would have trashed the others if it broke while running. Also he noticed lots of chips and unusual damage throughout the tranny so he surmised it must have been bouncing around in there before the first oil change at 45K to synthetic.As an aside, this tranny had the upgraded 3rd 4th slider, a common breaking point on van trannies causing shifting problems between 3rd and 4th.

One clunking noise that I worried about initially was a clanking-ring sound that occured when ever I suddenly took the slop out of the drive train. This turns out to be a normal sound on syncros, its the central drive shaft amplifing the slop in the extensive drive train that syncros have. I guess when on a dynamometer with all for weels at speed and no load, the drive train alone makes all sorts of sloppy sounds.

If anyone is in need of van or any VW tranny work I would reccomend AA Transaxel. http://aatransaxle.com/ His prices are competative and he ships all over the country and more importantly he seems to enjoy his work. I had my local shop do the R&R and he rebuilt it in 3 days. My van shifts better now than when I bought it at 25K. Wayne