Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 11:23:21 -0800
From:         Robert Dalton <dieselsong@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Queer Diesel Glow Plug/Lift Pump Behavior
Comments: To: Joe Romas <jromas@COLUMBUS.RR.COM>

Hi All,

That's right, pulling the head heat sensor wire leaves the glow plugs on with no time out. I'm assuming you can start the engine even though the glow plugs haven't "timed out". In other words the VW wiring probably prevents having the glow plugs on when starting.

I've noticed a problem with mine where if it sits a few weeks it will require several restarts before it gets running. I'm not sure if mine is a glow plug problem, however. It could also be the lift pump taking a while to prime and get the fuel flowing to the high pressure part of the injection pump. Anyone have any experience with this problem?.

Since I don't want to unnecessarily change the injection pump, I may try pulling the sensor wire to keep the glow plugs on longer. If this solves the hard starting, I don't see any problem in leaving the wire disconnected.

Rob