Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:02:26 -0800
From:         developtrust <developtrust@HOME.COM>
Subject:      Re: You did your own body work? I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...
Comments: To: Ken Taylor <res07cqd@gte.net>

Body work IS EASY if you are not afraid to use a 2 by 4 and a big hammer and take parts off and on-- and pound them out. I have taken totaled bumpers off and used a sledge hammer to straighten them out. It takes time, but it saves money.

I have pounded out fenders people said were hopeless with just patience and persistence. The last step of course is bondo and paint. The prep work to get the body to use as little bondo as possible is the key. Just keep pounding here, taping there and you will master it. You start with big pounding and work toward the smaller tools like the body work hammer.

Do NOT believe anyone who says it can not be done. IT CAN. Buy a few basic tools: a body work hammer and hand held anvil. And a rubber hammer. Get lots of old wood like 2 by 4's and 2 by 2's and old wooden broom sticks of different lengths. Cut some to shape, get crow bars etc., etc.

My father was a wise man in his way. The fine tuned and detailed body work he could do with a hammer and a flat screw driver would amaze you. He worked like a jeweler down to the final touches. He had a grade 3 education spoke broken English, fluent Polish & a few other of those Slovak languages and was considered an ignorant immigrant by Canadians and Americans. He knew nothing of prayer but was a moral man. He knew nothing of meditation and yoga but he could concentrate and get into postures a yogi could not. But he told me something as a child that stuck with me and I pass it on to you.

He said, that when you have a problem just sit and look at the object giving you trouble. Look and look and it will speak to you in its own language. And also look at it with your eyes closed some of the time. (As a child I did not know what he meant by "look at it with your eyes closed" until I tried it) Look he said, until you get its message. Sit with a beer or a cup of coffee or whatever, and study it. When the first answer comes, try it. If that does not work, sit and listen more. He turned out to be a wealthy man. He hired lawyers when he needed educated help and often he knew more about the law than lawyers did-- you see he hired a lot of them over the years. He hired educated people to do his educated work but he did his real work himself because he knew that is where the money came from to pay the lawyers. sometimes he hired mechanics but not very often.

I learned body work from him, and carpentry, and electrical and plumbing and concrete and roofing and car repair. But mostly I learned to sit and listen to the thing I was fixing and most of all,from him I learned to ask others who knew more than me first, then to sit and "study the problem."

I also learned from him to NOT over react and defend myself when fools spoke but to let the fools speak because he said even a fool has some wisdom. He said you just have to listen until you hear the truth with the bullshit then take the truth and throw the rest away.

Anyone can do body work. It is not intimidating. It is fun. It is easy. And it gives you a feeling of accomplishment.

Recently I got an estimate for a small fender dent for $300 and I fixed it in 15 minutes. I still have to do a little bondo for the finishing touches but that can wait.

People who know me well say I can fix anything. It's not really true, but I have fixed so many things people throw away and saved thousands that way.

One day I will earn to fix a Vanagon engine. I'm just at the beginning of that road now, but I know I can.

Two of my Father's favorite sayings: "I've got more time than money." and "Talk is cheap. Whiskey costs money."

Good luck to you, William

----- Original Message ----- From: "Ken Taylor" <res07cqd@gte.net> To: <developtrust@home.com> Sent: Tuesday, November 27, 2001 8:56 PM Subject: You did your own body work? I'm not worthy, I'm not worthy...