Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2001 21:29:14 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: wire splicing
Comments: To: sg <sg@SUNSETWINONA.COM>

At 08:58 PM 11/30/2001, sg wrote: > > 4. (This is hard to describe without a diagram, sorry . . .) make an X >with the wires so that the centre of the stripped wire is at the

<snip>

This is essentially the Western Union splice that was used for splicing telegraph wires. Instructions and diagrams for it and other splicing methods are at http://www.tpub.com/neets/book4/12a.htm

> > 5. Heat the wire with the iron. Once the wire is HOT, apply the solder to >the wire rather than the iron (really close to the iron) - the copper should >suck up the solder.

You need enough solder on the iron to make a fluid contact with the wire, otherwise it will take years to heat the joint because of the tiny surface area being heated. Ironically, in this situation the insulation will be melting while the wires are still not hot enough to take solder.

Also, one cannot (well, I cannot) overemphasize the importance of *clean, shiny* copper to solder to This is a major virtue of boat-grade wire -- each strand is tinned to resist corrosion and take solder easily. And a *clean, shiny* soldering tip that you wiped just a few seconds before using it. Don't file modern tips, they're iron-plated and you'll ruin them. And don't wipe the tip after use, only before -- that way there will be a layer of solder to oxidize instead of the tip.

Also also, it pays to remember that a solder joint is stiff and fatigues easily -- needs to be protected from both bending and vibration. This is a problem when soldering a crimped joint, as the solder tends to wick up past the wire insulation and make a stiff spot.

Also also also, it can be useful to have some liquid rosin flux (rosin dissolved in alcohol) to dip a joint in. This stuff is used for wave-soldering circuit boards and unfortunately comes in gallons. I lucked into some sample quantities many years ago. Plumbing flux (Zn Chloride, "Acid," No-Korode etc) are a bad idea for electrical work as they leave corrosive residues.

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"