Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 10:03:46 -0700
From:         Blake Thornton <thornton@MATH.UTAH.EDU>
Subject:      Help! Van still dying

I've posted this problem before, but the problem is not going away. Here is what happens to my 84 westy:

When driving (usually when stopped, but also when driving down the road), all of a sudden, I lose all power. The van continues to idle (not a terrible idle, but not a good one either, the rpms are probaly 600rpms), but there is absolutely no response from the throttle - NONE, it does nothing.

Then, if I turn off the van and then turn it back on, things are usually OK. This morning, after turning the van off and then immediately on, things did not return to normal. But, then I turned the van off, let it sit for 1-2 minutes and then things were back to normal (only to have the problem come back 10 minutes later).

When it happened this morning, I opened up the engine bay and started playing around with everything I could think of (moving the throttle, clicking on the throttle switches, fiddling with the spark plug wires, banging on the AFM, playing with my keys and the ignition switch, disconnected the O2 sensor) and none of these things made any significant difference. I could hear the flap in the AFM moving when I moved the throttle, so I know the afm is not stuck, but when doing this, there was still no significant change in the way the engine was running.

Here is everthing I have tried and done since the problem started:

- took apart afm and looked at wiper track. It looked fine but I had a spare (new) AFM and that I put in (so now I have a new AFM in my van)

- bought and installed new throttle switches (both of them). I'm quite sure I have them adjusted correctly as well (but am also sure the adjustment would not be the problem)

- installed a new hall sender in my distributor. Don't know if the old one was bad, but I have a new one now.

- cleaned all grounds in the engine compartment. I sanded them and reinstalled. I have not yet bought any of that compound that makes the connection better, but I think the grounds are all quite clean.

- Bought a new ignition switch. I have yet to install this, but I'm doubtful that this is the problem. I'm going to try to install the ignition switch this weekend.

- Installed a new exhaust system. This can't have any bearing, but I'm quite sure there are no exhaust leaks.

- my fuel filter(s) are quite new, but I'll probably replace them this weekend. But, this is intermittant, so this can't be the problem.

- my spark plugs, cap and roter are all quite new, and I'll probably try replacing them this weekend as well.

- my idle stabilizer is probably 3-4 years old. But, if it doesn't get better, I'll probably try replacing this soon as well.

I have no other ideas of what to do. I'm might take it into the shop, but would prefer to avoid this (since the shop probably won't know what to do either).

HELP! Thanks a ton for any help! Blake 84 Westy SLC UT