Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 13:34:08 -0700
From:         Karl Wolz <wolzphoto@WORLDNET.ATT.NET>
Subject:      Re: e-bay oil pump dispute
Comments: To: scott_s@DISCOUSA.COM

Scot,

The problem is not that you didn't receive what you expected, but that you didn't receive what was advertised, assuming that you're correct about the part number covering the both the pump and the pickup tube.

The seller's moral, if not legal, responsibility is to correctly, accurately, and completely describe what he is selling. Your responsibility is to verify that description as best you can (keeping in mind that barring legal action, auction results are final). In this instance, I'd attempt to appeal to the seller's sense of justice and ask if you can send the part back to him so that HE can resell it under a more accurate description. Unless you find a particularly noble seller, you'll probably take a bath on the shipping charges, at least one way.

If the pump was incorrectly described (if you feel that you have no fault in this issue), you could leave negative feedback or do anything up to and including a small-claims court settlement, though it's probably not worthwhile to do so. Especially if the seller has a good feedback record, you may find that the threat of negative feedback will bring about a fair resolution of the situation.

Keep a cool head and negotiate your case in an attempt to bring about a resolution fair to both parties. Stress (without being sanctimonious) that you will not simply pass along the injustice by passing along the fraud to the next eBayer, nor will you take a loss on it by selling it under an honest description.

Good luck,

Karl Wolz

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Sullivan" <scott_s@DISCOUSA.COM> To: <vanagon@GERRY.VANAGON.COM> Sent: Thursday, November 29, 2001 1:13 PM Subject: e-bay oil pump dispute