Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 22:49:33 -0500
From:         David Beierl <dbeierl@ATTGLOBAL.NET>
Subject:      Re: online in the van
Comments: To: Brian and Carol Megas <bmegas@ISLAND.NET>

At 09:59 PM 11/29/2001, Brian and Carol Megas wrote: >to use the digital camera en-route, saving/posting exceptional pictures to >friends/family and the home computer.

Make sure you can edit them locally and scale them down to reasonable size (25-100Kbytes each) before sending.

> The concern was whether there would >be problems with the power supply to the laptop

You can get 12v laptop supplies from Targus and others for around $100, or use an inverter and the regular AC supply.

>or exceptional drain on the >battery

Depends on the laptop -- speed and nice displays are your enemies. My Thinkpad A20m (500 MHz, 15.1" 1024x768 *lovely* display) draws potentially up to about 7 amps at 12v when using it while the battery is charging (though I've never measured more than about 5.5). No problem when you're running the motor but a serious consideration for battery use. Older/slower/smaller machines use less juice. The 7 amps on mine might only happen when two batteries are installed, vs one battery and the CD drive. I use it on a boat with 300 A-H of capacity so I can run for a while even though it's my biggest single load (radar is next, about even with running lights) -- but it means an hour of the engine for every six to ten of the laptop. When my batteries are near flat it takes 10-12 hours of charging with a 35-amp alternator and a smart regulator to get them up to 90% or so.

We don't do long-term camping with the Westy but if we did it would be a serious consideration -- might have to use a lower-drain machine as well as institute real battery and charging arrangements. OTOH in the Westy I'd run the machine much less -- I run it a lot on the boat to keep it warm and try to keep condensation out of it.

There's also an enormous (and $$$) laptop battery available that sits under the machine like a pad and would stretch out your running time considerably. As I recall it's around $400 and has about four times the capacity of the $200 second battery that fits my machine or the $170 spare regular battery (which are 38 watt-hours each nominal).

david

David Beierl - Providence, RI http://pws.prserv.net/synergy/Vanagon/ '84 Westy "Dutiful Passage" '85 GL "Poor Relation"