Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 29 Nov 2001 21:09:09 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Help - Power loss above 2500 RPM once engine warms up
Comments: To: syncro <syncro@yahoogroups.com>
Comments: cc: joel.cort@usa.xerox.com

Hi all,

I'm sort of stranded but made it home to my garage.

Here is what I've been experiencing the past two days and I'm throwing this out to the expertise of the list. I did check the archives but did not find my specific issues.

My 89 Syncro Westy runs fine, idles fine, starts on 1/4 turn. It has lots of normal power (for the 2.1l engine) and I can drive about 5 miles. At about that distance, the engine finally gets to normal operating temp. with the white needle just teatering above the red LED on the gauge. From that point on the van idles fine but if I drive off I cannot get any power above 2500 rpm. I cannot get going more than about 30 mph.

I've put my DarrellTool on to test all the sensors and every one responds OK from what I can tell. The Temp1, TempII and AFM all respond. LEDs respond. The only goofy one was that darn O2 reading. The O2 fluctuates from -0 but for the most part of the reading was around .70 at norm. operating temp. From past experience I tried unplugging the O2 green wire but this did nothing to alleviate the problem. It is still there and real. So for whatever the O2 is sending, this is not the problem with the power loss.

Other than that the climate has been in the 40s with drizzling rain so relatively high humidity. I've checked the sensor connections and cleaned up what I could but still nothing to change the problem.

So fellow VW engineers I solicit any help on where to look for the cause of this problem (other than living in Rochester NY).

Thanks for any help. Please email me at joel.cort@usa.xerox.com as well.

Thank you all. Joel