Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (November 2001, week 5)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Fri, 30 Nov 2001 15:48:26 +0800
From:         Julian Burden <jburden@CONSULTANT.COM>
Subject:      notebook computers, inverters, and Internet access on the road

We've just travelled 15,000 Km in our Westy from Vanc - San Fran and then to Montreal. Soni's a freelance editor and had work to do on the trip. Here is how we did it:

We needed a cell phone (jsut moved to Canada from Australia, and were selling our Aust. house while we were on the road). Looked into wireless Internet, purchased a "Grab and Go" cell phone from Bell Mobility ($180 with 6 months access, 200 minutes per month free) - the phone can be attached to a notebook computer to gain Internet access. BUT THE CABLE WAS "NOT YET AVAILABLE".

We already had the digital camera, so that was easy!

The van needed a new battery so we kept the old one and put it under the drivers seat (tried the "rewiring the relay" by the way, see below) wired all the camper stuff to run off this battery and used jumper leads to connect it to the main battery while driving.

Purchased a 300W inverter from London Drugs in Vancouver ($70) and hooked it up to the 2nd battery.

Had a great trip, never had a problem starting (no surprises, no load on main battery when not driving). The notebook computer got a lot of use, but we had to resort to just using Internet cafes because of the lack of the cable. It would be good to have that cable, will try again before the next road trip.

If you are running an inverter off the main battery you do need to be careful, but if your engine starts readily it probably wont be a problem - the inverter we have, for example, monitors battery voltage and automatically shuts down before discharging the battery too much. We got about 4 hours running time before this happened to us (on the old "half dead" battery).

If you don't use the computer too much, use the inverter to charge the computer's battery while driving and you'll get your hour or so of use without danger of a flat battery in the morning. (If using the inverter in this manner it can simply plug into the cigarette lighter).

Regarding the rewiring the relay to get the 2nd battery in, I saw instructions on vanagon.com about an existing relay that can be used as a battery isolator. The idea is that it is only on when the alternator is providing charge. I checked the rating of the relay, 30Amps. I was worryed about excess current going through the relay (think of the 2nd battery being discarged overnight and then having both the alternator and the main battery charging it when the relay closes). I deviated from the instructions only enough to add a 30A fuse between the relay and the 2nd battery - no surprises, after the first real use of the battery one night the fuse blew as soon as I started the car the next day.

--

_______________________________________________ Sign-up for your own FREE Personalized E-mail at Mail.com http://www.mail.com/?sr=signup