Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Dec 2001 10:54:46 -0800
From:         PSavage <psavage@SABER.NET>
Subject:      To Bleed or Not to Bleed?

My power & phone are on again, after being off most of past two days--N CA is having a horrendous storm, with high winds, rain & hail. Two giant trees came down this morning on a semi, flattening the cab; driver escaped serious injury. So--hope my power holds a few hours while I catch up on email & get list advice.

Here's a recap: A mechanic advised a pressure test of coolant hoses as part of my pre-trip check list. It was the *only invasive proceedure he did. The rest was bolt tightening & check of charging system.

Since, the LOUD sound of gurgling/surging fluid I hear in front & rear, which I myself was sure to be air in the cooling system--has been verified by dozens of list opinions & the opinion of another local VW mechanic.

From this list's responses, I've now learned that the mechanic FAILED to *open the valve to the rear (auxiliary) heater. While a few list members have suggested that this air in the coolant is no big thing, I suspectl otherwise--as did the majority of list members who p-mailed their responses.

So, before I leave for Mexico I must attempt to find someone I can count (what are the odds?) on to do this bleed. Obviously, I'll NOT return to the offending mechanic, who botched the job (@$72 per hour)--but sent me off in the dark during a major storm with an hour's drive home over a steep, winding two land road.

I now know that the heater valve must be OPEN when the coolant is bled. Is there *anything else I should know about? (Please, no more suggestions that *I do this myself. For many reasons, out of the question.)

Thanks guys & gals, Phaedra '85 Westy "Basecamp"