Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Dec 2001 16:07:11 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: Steel Rims from a 98 Passat - Will they fit a 1991 Vanagon?
Comments: To: Kurt Stewart <kstewart@COPIQUIK.COM>

Kurt,

I looked at a set last year for my 89 Syncro Westy. The bolt pattern is the same as our vans 5x112 mm but the center hole is smaller than our vanagon hubs. On my Syncro I needed to take them to a shop to hone out 3 or 4 mm diameter from each wheel, althought the rear fit OK. The rear drums have 2 bolts that will have to be removed to get the rims to fit snug. - I did not get them after trying to find a metal shop that could do the modification - None in Rochester NY. So look around for a shop that can do this work first.

Now the other question is the offset from center. I do not know if these wheels that you are looking at will fit and with which tires. There is a code to measure the offset from equidistance from the inner rim to the outer rim in relation to the center of the hub. So depending on where or how much off center the wheels are you may need a spacer for you van. On the 14" VW mags that measurement is "ET30". Don't know what the "ET" stands for but I'm sure someone on the list knows.

Hope this helps, Good luck,

Joel 89 Syncro Westy 14" Rochester NY.

--- Kurt Stewart <kstewart@COPIQUIK.COM> wrote: > I was going to buy a spare set of rims for my Vanagon, to put snows > on. Does anyone know if a set of 1998 vw steel wheels would fit > with no alteration? They are 15 inch rims. > > Kurt