Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:44:42 -0800
From:         Joel Cort <joel_cort@YAHOO.COM>
Subject:      Re: 87 Lack of power
Comments: To: Bess's Buddies <bess@EARTHNOW.ORG>

Hi,

Hey that sounds just like the problem I just experienced in my 89 Syncro Westy. I just got it out of the shop yesterday and my mechanic though it may be a clogged fuel filter so he changed that. When was the last time yours was replaced?

That seems to have resolved my problem for now but I need to drive it a while to see if it comes back. My symptoms were occuring once the engine was warmed up (so it seems) and at that point I had no power over 2500 RPM and could only go about 30mph. Someone on the list suggested a clogged catalytic converter, faulty ground connections to the cylinder head, faulty Oxygen (O2) sensor faulty TempII sensor and lastly faulty AFM.

The O2 is easy to diagnose. Just remove the green wire from the O2 sensor. (below the coil) and see if the problem persists. If it goes away you have it easy - Replace the O2 sensor that is your culprit.

If the O2 sensor is OK and assuming everything is in OK working order, the TempII sensor is the other targeted culprit. If it does not send the right signal to the ECU and AFM, the AFM goes into idle mode. So no power.

The AFM may also be defective so you may have to test that out as well. Follow the steps in the Bentley repair book.

I would not mess with any timing and distributor setting until all the electronic sensors are fully diagnosed. Assume your timing and sparks are OK. Do you have a DigiTool? or are you good at electronics? there is a fellow on the list that has created a tool to diagnose all the sensors going to the ECU - the DIGIFANT. Darrell Bohler has the diagram available on his web site. Check it out at http://www.loam.org/vw/Vanagon Darrell also posted all sorts of mechanics training manuals called the ProTraining manuals that get into diagnosis of each sensor and system.

Good luck,

Joel 89 Syncro Westy MV Rochester NY.

--- Bess's Buddies <bess@EARTHNOW.ORG> wrote: > Hi all, > > Our 87 has a strange problem... she has fine low end torque, and > when not > under load will rev up just dandy, but when she is under load, she > won't go > over 3300 rpms no matter what, and has no power over 2000 rpm. > > We haven't done a compression check yet, but are planning to. Funny > though, > she runs well and purrs otherwise. > > Is this a "normal" problem that may be easy to diagnose via the > list? She > kinda feels like she has a bad advance on the distributor? Is that > possible > in a new car? > > Thanks oh wise list!