Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Sun, 2 Dec 2001 18:58:48 -0800
From:         David Marshall <vanagon@VOLKSWAGEN.ORG>
Subject:      Syncro TDI installation question...

Volks, I have a good technical question for the lot of you...

Coming back in my sea container from Germany is a 90hp "1Z" TDI engine from a 96 Golf. The plan is to install this into my 1988 Syncro DoKa. Seeing how the DoKa has more than enough room to mount the engine at 15 degrees with no engine cover interference, I will use our mounting kit and a KEP flywheel / adapter plate to mount the engine. So, at this point I would have a TDI engine mounted in my Syncro DoKa.... so far, this isn't rocket science! The wiring and other odds-n-ends to make it run won't be a problem, just take a little time to setup. The question is, how do I START the motor??? With the TDI being 19.5:1 compression ratio the stock Syncro starter will have a very hard time spinning the motor, if it could spin it at all. At -30C to the equation and there is no way it would spin. From what I have been told the Syncro TD starter will not work with a 228mm wasserboxer ring gear assembly and it looks too long to actually fit in there as it would interfere with the diff lock / shifter asm.

Any thoughts or suggestions???

David Marshall

Fast Forward Automotive Inc. 4356 Quesnel Hixon Road Quesnel BC Canada V2J 6Z3 mailto:info@fastforward.ca <mailto:info@fastforward.ca> http://www.fastforward.ca <http://www.fastforward.ca> Phone: (250) 992 7775 FAX: (250) 992 1160

. Vanagon Accessories and Engine Conversions . Vanagon, Transporter and Iltis Sales and Importation . European Lighting for most Volkswagen models