Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Dec 2001 09:56:02 -0800
From:         Joe Pallen <jrpallen@MOSCOW.COM>
Subject:      Many thanks (tried not to make to long!)
Comments: cc: Matthew Pollard <poll7356@uidaho.edu>

I am new to the list and would like to introduce myself and say thanks. My name is Joe Pallen and I live in Moscow Idaho and owner of 1987 Syncro. I have owned my syncro since 88' and since then

we've had quite a bit of fun and a little neglect (or is it just old age?). After a month and a half of sitting in a friends garage I just got it back out on the road yesterday feeling like I have a new car. Much of that I owe to this list, its archive and others.

In October my transmission got stuck in 3rd gear and from there -through this list (thanks to Matthew Pollard who introduced me to this list and was more than a great help throughout this process) and

vanagon.com- I learned much about driveline problems. The tranny was sent to Daryl at AAtransaxle in Seattle were it was repaired and I also had the larger 4th installed. I drove out in the country

yesterday and though it is maybe to early to tell, I do think I will like the larger 4th. Mostly I noticed a quieter and more stable ride at higher speeds. I would highly recommend Daryl for any

transmission work, he was very helpful throughout the process and the transmission was completed in a very timely manner.

We also replaced the VC, the hard part about this process was getting the front diff. housing apart! Otherwise it was one of the easiest parts of the process. (Eric- before the VC was replace I did

experience severe wear on the outer edges of my front tires and am going to keep an close eye on them now that I have the new VC) Yesterday morning on our first trip out we had more than a few inches of snow and its nice to feel the VC kick in. I haven't done a VC test yet, but will next weekend. I can say that there is quite a difference in feel. I do get a little grab went turning tight turns but very little. A great improvement over the old VC. I want to thank Derek for his help in understanding and purchasing a VC.

I still have issues with drive line vibration, starts and most extreme at 37 to 40 MPH and goes away at 55 - 60 mph. It does not seem as bad as it was before the tranny rebuild. The u-joints were replaced this summer. My plan is to replace the flex disc and having the driveline balanced, but this will have to wait until the spring thaw.

If anyone has any specific questions about this process I, and I am sure Matt would, be happy to try and answer them.

Other things this list and its archives have helped me fix: My sliding door no longer pops open -loose bracket, My rear heater works and my kids like me again:-) -rear heater core was leaking, Repaired my odometer -for now any ways!, replaced my rear carpet with a remnant that cost 30 bucks (used the old carpet as a template -it really looks nice. And my favorite of all, I now of a 24 hour clock! yee haw!

There is more and I am sure it is far from over :-)

This list is a great resource and I look forward to staying on. Also, I am sure my van will appreciate it the attention it will get!

Thanks to others that I may not have mentioned but helped out when communicating with Matt.

--Joe