Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Mon, 3 Dec 2001 16:03:26 -0800
From:         Wayne Hagan <waynehagan@MAC.COM>
Subject:      Re: Internet access on the road

It is great having access on the road, however, one important point is data coverage. If you ask the sales people they will say data coverage works any where there is a digital signal. Unfortunately this is wrong, I have used mine all over the lower 48 and data access only works in some large metropolitan areas, not the typical place I take my Westy to. This of course depends on your provider. Mine is Verizon, they along with AT&T have the largest coverage in the US. On several occasions I called in on the road to their special data tech support folks to see why I wasn't getting a data connection. Their explanation was that much of their network is shared from other companies and there is no comprehensive list of who has data capability and who doesn't. One way you can check is to try to log in using your internet capable phone interface, if it's a no go there then it won't connect via the computer either. The apparent reason for all this is that your phone is acting as the modem with a cell connection, and it needs certain protocol signals from the tower to function properly. Here are some rather contradictory snippets from their site (http://www.verizonwireless.com/internet_data/mobile_office/)

"Where will my Mobile Office service work? The Mobile Office service is available in all Verizon Wireless digital markets and the list keeps growing. For availability in specific areas, check with your Verizon Wireless representative." vs. this "Presently, some digital service areas do not yet support the Mobile Office service. For details of your area service availability check with your local Verizon Wireless representative. "

I got great coverage on the left coast I-5 corridor, connected within 10 seconds, but traveling to the right coast along I-90, coverage was miserable. The occasional motel was no longer just for a shower, but also for a phone line. -Wayne