Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Tue, 4 Dec 2001 09:53:01 -0600
From:         Laura Olson <laura@ONEOTA.NET>
Subject:      82 with hot start problem (long saga)

I would guess this subject has been covered sometime, but I flit on and off the list as my life allows. This past August, I took a trip from NE Iowa to Glacier National Park with three young boys and the family dog in my 1982 air cooled Westy. Before I left I had a whole new exhaust system installed and purchased a new battery, even though my old one was probably fine. I bought the battery because I had had some strange starting problems three previous times in the Spring and Summer-had a new starter in 2000. The battery did not solve the problem. As soon as I was 5 hours away and stopped for a picnic lunch at a rest stop, the van would not start. The three previous times this had happened, it started right up with a jump. This tow truck driver tried his battery charger and it didn't go, so towed me to an import repair shop in Sioux Falls, where we had to spend the night as they couldn't possibly look at it until morning. Oh, joy. Of course, it started right up in the morning and I let him put in a new ignition switch in case that was burning out. He lent me a battery to jump from and off we went. This time, we made it as far as Wall, SD (it started after the first two stops for gas) and it wouldn't start. We wandered through Wall Drug for two hours hoping it would cool down enough to start. No dice-so I got a guy to jump it who sent me to a place in Rapid City with German mechanics. The next day, they fixed it!!! They checked the drop voltage on everything and replaced the voltage regulator. I was wary and didn't turn it off that day until parked for the night in a state park outside Thermopolis, WY. I tried to start it again and it worked! I was overjoyed. For the next 10 days, the Vanagon was once again in my sons' good graces and we drove all over Wyoming and Montana without fear of turning it off for gas or hikes or lunch. It was always in the 90's on this trip. Feeling somewhat cocky, we started home and it started happening again, not far from Billings, Montana. I had to have it jumped at a gas station, but not in the morning after setting all night. The next morning, I thought a short drive (1 hour) to the Little Bighorn Battlefield would not cause a problem, but it wouldn't start there either (probably our hottest day). The bikers returning from the Sturgis rally were helpful. Anyway, I was determined to get back to Import Services in Rapid City. I drove without turning it off until the Black Hills, where we spent two nights waiting for Monday morning. Took it in Monday morning and they said they couldn't look at it until Wednesday so I said screw it, and drove home. I didn't turn it off until I was parked for the night. Except I stopped at the first repair shop in Sioux Falls so I could drop off the battery he had loaned me, and I had three guys out there stumped. They tried to start it and checked the voltage on the battery (12 something), then tried to jump it with a charger pack (12 something, a little higher), then jumped it with a car and cables and it started with 13 something. It has started faithfully since but I haven't driven it for more than an hour at a time. My mechanics here in town are confused; of course it never happens in town where they can observe it. Any ideas on whether this is fixable. It is frustrating because I bought the Westy for long trips-I live to drive around the country-but am planning our Spring trip to Phoenix and summer trip to Seattle in our trusty Honda wagon with a tent strapped to the top. Help. Thanks, Laura