Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Wed, 5 Dec 2001 21:46:24 -0500
From:         The Bus Depot <vanagon@BUSDEPOT.COM>
Subject:      Re: **TRIPLE** Listmember Discount - TOMORROW ONLY
Comments: To: syncro <syncro@yahoogroups.com>

> I may be seeing things wrong, but I find lots of the items on the normal > pages are also on the bargains pages. Are you saying that the ones on the > normal pages aren't on the bargains pages as well? I'm just wanting to be > clear about what's on sale and what's not

Oh, now I understand the confusion. And yes, it can be confusing. The Bargain Page items DO also show up on the regular pages (i.e. brakes, clutch, etc.). This is because they are keyed into the website with two codes - one that identifies the item as a sale item (hence the listing on the bargains page) and one that identifies it as, say, a brake drum (hence the listing on the brakes page).

You were assuming that if you found the item on a regular page, you could tell if it was a sale item because it would list a price in the "retail" price column. A very logical assumption. But not the case. Frankly we haven't been making good use of that column. It was supposed to list the manufacturer's retail price on every item on the site. But too many items come in without the retail price listed on the invoice, and we are just too busy to manually look each of them up, so that column ends up empty a lot of the time. In fact, I plan to remove the column completely, as I can't see ever having enough time to keep it up.

As it stands, there is no definitive way to identify sale items when viewing them on a regular page. Some of them are identified as sale items in the description (i.e. "40% off" or something like that) but not all are. Which, now that you bring it up, is something I definately want to fix. (But not by tomorrow. :-)

The best bet, once you pick what you want, is to go to the bargains page before you check out, and just scan it to see if anything you've picked is listed on that page. If it is, then that item will only qualify for 5% off instead of 15%. If you don't want it you can always remove it from your shopping cart then. But then again, those items are often marked down 20-40% already, so even with only a 5% additional discount you are still ahead of the game.

- Ron Salmon The Bus Depot, Inc. (215) 234-VWVW www.busdepot.com