Vanagon EuroVan
Previous messageNext messagePrevious in topicNext in topicPrevious by same authorNext by same authorPrevious page (December 2001, week 1)Back to main VANAGON pageJoin or leave VANAGON (or change settings)ReplyPost a new messageSearchProportional fontNon-proportional font
Date:         Thu, 6 Dec 2001 12:05:21 -0800
From:         Dan Snow <dieselvanagon@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject:      Re: Dan's Diesel Rebuild Part 9

In the last installment, we completed the build of the 1.6 NA dasher engine that was destined to be installed in the Vanagon.

I stripped off all of the engine accessories—the injection pump, water pump, throttle and cold start cables, and the oil cooler.

I went to Ace Hardware and purchased a $5.00 sawhorse bracket kit. I made a sawhorse out of scrap 2X4 boards that straddles the engine compartment in the van. I looped some strong rope around the top of it a few times and hung the borrowed chain hoist from it. I tied more lengths of the rope to the motor mount and to two head bolts. Then (my coupe de grace) I got a 4X4 that spanned the whole engine compartment, and I tied a rope to it, wrapped it down around the transmission, and back up to the board. I did this a few times, tightening every time, so that the transmission was fully supported by this board.

I hoisted up on the engine to take pressure off of the mounting bolts, and when I was convinced that the engine was supported, I loosened all of the bolts holding the engine to the transmission. The one up by the clutch master cylinder was a little tough, but with my homemade impact wrench (framing hammer and ratchet) I finally got it loose. It think the inbred PO tightened all of the fasteners on this van with a breaker bar and loc-tite.

I left the motor mounts on, but removed the nuts that attache them to the engine cradle. With some swearing and jiggling and messing with the hoist, I pulled the engine away from the tranny. In retrospect, I think it might be possible to ease this job by having a helper push the clutch (comments?).

I dropped the engine down onto a piece of carpet, and had to jack up the van a little to pull out the engine on the carpet. I stripped the other things I needed, like the flywheel and clutch, and set the engine aside (hidden in the bushes).

That’s all for now. The new engine was sitting in my van waiting to be put in, and it sat for another week or two…

Daniel Snow

'82 Vanagon Diesel '78 Puch Maxi Luxe Moped '01 Xootr Scooter http://faculty.haas.berkeley.edu/snow/vanagon/vanagon.html